Image-guided joint injections can help with the diagnosis and treatment of joint pain. They are usually given to treat swollen or painful joints, cysts or bursas that have not responded to initial treatments such as pain-relieving medication and physiotherapy. Often injections are used in conjunction with physiotherapy. Image-guided injections can help:
- confirm the site of pain
- accurately inject steroid into your painful joint, cyst or bursa
- reduce your pain and enable you to have physiotherapy
- offer short to medium term pain relief without undergoing surgery.
An image-guided injection is a day case procedure taking around 15 to 30 minutes. You will be awake during your injection. A local anaesthetic may be given. Your consultant will use imaging technology to guide the injection into the exact area needing pain relief. They may use:
- CT guided injections – in your facet joint (spine) and sacroiliac joint.
- X-ray guided injections – for your wrist and hand, hip, ankle and foot.
- Ultrasound guided injections – in your shoulder, hip, hand and wrist, knee, ankle and foot joints and tendons.
If you’ve had enough of pain and discomfort, and are seeking a fast and effective solution, contact our specialist team at Highgate Hospital.
We offer an all-inclusive self-pay package, for image guided injections into a joint, cyst or bursa with prices starting from £1,175 (T&Cs apply). For more information and eligibility criteria, speak to one of our self-pay advisors by calling 020 3918 9463.
As you’ll always be under the care of our expert multidisciplinary team, and looked after in our state-of-the-art facilities, there’s no better place for you to receive treatment. With all procedures undertaken using the latest techniques, you’ll be in safe hands for the entirety of your stay.