Regular exercise is important and allows us to lead happy and healthy lives. Injury sustained during the pursuit of physical activity can be distressing and frustrating.
If you have suffered a recent sporting or musculoskeletal injury or have a recurring problem, we can help. Whether you are a professional athlete, enjoy sports for leisure, or have sustained an injury through non-sporting means our specialists are able to offer a thorough assessment, diagnosis and treatment that will help get you back on track as quickly as possible.
Our Sport & Exercise Medicine doctors have experience working in elite sport, in Premiership Rugby, with British Athletics, the Lawn Tennis Association and at the London Olympics. They are used to treating a wide variety of musculoskeletal injuries and related illness.
Common conditions treated
- Ankle injuries (eg Achilles tendinopathy/tendinitis, osteoarthritis, ligament injury, stress fractures)
- Back injuries (eg disc injury, back pain)
- Elbow injuries (eg tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow)
- Knee injuries (eg osteoarthritis, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), meniscal injury, patellar tendinopathy/tendonitis)
- Over-use injuries (including repetitive strain injuries)
- Shoulder injuries (eg shoulder impingement and rotator cuff disorders, frozen shoulder)
- Soft tissue injuries (eg muscle tears, bursitis)
- Tendon and ligament injuries
- Groin pain
- Exercise-induced leg pain
- Stress fractures
Specialist treatments for sports injuries
Our specialist Sport & Exercise Medicine physicians and Orthopaedic surgeons offer you reassurance and support from diagnosis through to treatment, rehabilitation and follow-up care. They are supported by a multidisciplinary network, should you require other specialised treatments.
The first step is to diagnose your injury. You will have onsite access to the latest imaging technology, including X-ray, bedside ultrasound, MRI and CT scanning, to facilitate a quick and accurate diagnosis.
After diagnosis, our specialist team will explain the next steps and the treatment options available to you.
- Image-guided injections
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT)
- Bespoke physiotherapy programme with a dedicated physiotherapist
- Exercise prescription
Surgical treatment options:
Our expert orthopaedic and spinal consultants can provide a range of surgical treatments, including:
- Joint replacements – including knee and hip
- Meniscal repair/debridement
- Fracture fixation
- Rotator cuff/tendon repair
- Minimally invasive arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery procedures, such as ACL reconstruction.
- Spinal surgery including MISS and lumbar spinal decompression
We take a holistic approach to recovery, and your care team may include specialist podiatrists and dieticians to help you get back to the sport you love as quickly as possible. We can also advise you on how to avoid similar injuries in the future, by assessing your biomechanics and analysing your gait.
The above is intended for information purposes only and should not replace advice that your relevant health professional would give you.
Sports Injuries Consultants