- Consultants & Specialists
- Services & Treatments
- Patient Information
- Our Hospital
- Contact Us
- GP Zone
NovaSure® is a medical treatment to reduce or eliminate excessive menstrual bleeding due to benign causes in pre-menopausal women who have completed childbearing.
When excessive menstrual bleeding is prolonged for more than seven days, it is considered abnormal. Known as menorrhagia it is a common clinical condition defined as a total blood loss exceeding 80ml per cycle. Women suffering from menorrhagia commonly use more than 20 sanitary towels or tampons in a single day.
The NovaSure® treatment uses precisely controlled amounts of radio frequency energy to remove the endometrial lining of the uterus. On average, the treatment takes less than 90 seconds
1. Your consultant will insert a slender wand through the cervix into the uterus.
2. The bipolar electrode will expand automatically to the dimensions of the uterine cavity.
3. Radiofrequency energy is then delivered into the uterus for approximately 90 seconds.
4. After treatment is complete, the electrode slowly retracts and the wand is gently removed from the uterus.
Unlike other alternative treatments, the NovaSure procedure® does not need any mechanical or hormonal pre-treatment and may be performed in an outpatient setting. The NovaSure® procedure can also be performed at any time during the menstrual cycle.