Our Endocrinologist Consultants can help you to manage all aspects of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in adults.
Endocrinology & Diabetes
What is Endocrinology?
Endocrinology is a branch of general medicine dealing with the collection of glands in the body that secrete hormones directly into the blood. Hormones have many different functions on different organs.
The clinical specialty of Endocrinology focuses primarily on the endocrine organs, meaning the organs whose primary function is hormone secretion. These organs include the pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, testes, and pancreas.
Consultant endocrinologists treat adrenal gland problems, diabetes, erectile dysfunction, excessive hair growth in women, lipid disorders, obesity, pituitary gland dissorders, polycystic ovarian syndrome and thyroide disease.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a group of metabolic diseases in which a person has high blood sugar, either because the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced. This high blood sugar produces the classical symptoms of polyuria (frequent urination), polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyphagia (increased hunger).
What can our Specialist Consultants do for you?
We offer regular clinics with Consultant Endocrinologists in our outpatient department. Our Consultants use a holistic approach and support patients to self manage their condition and change behaviour using techniques based on motivational interviewing and CBT.
Our Endocrinologist Consultants specialise in:
Diabetes: Management of all aspects of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in adults. Including:
- Management of diabetes with new agents
- Diabetes and complex insulin regimens
- Hypertension management in diabetes
- Lipid/cholesterol management in diabetes
- Diabetes in renal disease
- Diabetes in young adult adolescents
- Diabetes in thalassaemia
- Diabetes in pregnancy & preconception counselling
- Prediabetes and management of individuals at high risk of developing diabetes, including obese individual
Endocrinology: Management of all aspects of general Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine in adults. Including:
- Thyroid conditions – hormonal disturbance (hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism); thyroid nodular disease and goitre.
- Adrenal conditions
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and hirsuitism
- Pituitary conditions
- Parathyroid, calcium & vitamin D disturbances
- Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
- Menopausal symptoms
- Hypogonadism including testosterone replacement therapy
Endocrinology & Diabetes Consultants