Mr James Crinnion
Consultant Vascular and General Surgeon
QualificationsMB ChB, MD, FRCS
Main NHS base:
Barts Health NHS Trust (The Royal London & Whipps Cross University Hospitals)
Vascular surgery, varicose veins and thread veins, thyroid and parathyroid surgery, general surgery, laparoscopic cholecystectomy and hernia repair.
Fees, Training & Background:
My interest in vascular surgery developed during my two years as a Research Fellow at Leeds General Infirmary, and following my year as Registrar at Ealing Hospital, London. I subsequently spent three further years of vascular surgical training at Northwick Park Hospital, St Mary’s Regional Vascular Unit and Chelsea and Westminster.
Since 1999 I have been a Consultant Vascular & General Surgeon at Whipps Cross University Hospital. I have established an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) service with the interventional radiologists, a one-stop venous clinic and a local anaesthetic endovenous laser clinic. I have developed a special interest in the management and prevention of the foot complications associated with diabetes in which I liase closely with the Endocrinologists and Specialist Podiatrist. I have been trained in vascular ultrasound and I now run a Consultant led “one stop vascular clinic” which has significantly streamlined the service
For the last eight years I have provided an endocrine surgical service for our department. I perform between 50-70 thyroid/parathyroid procedures annually. I now perform almost all of the parathyroid procedures via a targeted approach using preoperative radionuclear and ultrasound imaging.
I have obtained extensive emergency surgical experiences since working at Whipps Cross. In addition to endocrine surgery my elective general surgical work includes laparoscopic cholecystectomy, hernia repair and soft tissue surgery. I have developed my skills in minimally invasive surgery and regularly perform laparoscopic cholecystectomy, appendicectomy and thoracoscopic sympathectomy.
- Clinical Director in General Surgery, Bartshealth (2012-present)
- Chairman of NE Thames training committee in General Surgery (2011-present)
- Chairman of Court of Examiners Royal College of Surgeons (2010-12)
- Invited member of Council of Royal College of Surgeons (2010-12)
- Trust Lead for Clinical Governance (Whipps Cross) 2003-09
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Fellow of Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- Member of the Vascular Surgical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the Court of Examiners of Royal College of Surgeons
Are you insured?
We welcome patients with private medical insurance and are approved by all major insurers, including Bupa and AXA PPP.
Find out more
We offer a variety of fixed price Self-Pay Packages for those considering paying for their own treatment.
Find out more