Mr James Crinnion
Consultant Vascular and General Surgeon
QualificationsMB ChB, MD, FRCS
Main NHS base:
Barts Health NHS Trust (The Royal London & Whipps Cross University Hospitals)
Vascular surgery, varicose veins and thread veins, thyroid and parathyroid surgery, general surgery, laparoscopic cholecystectomy and hernia repair.
Training & background:
My interest in vascular surgery developed during my two years as a Research Fellow at Leeds General Infirmary, and following my year as Registrar at Ealing Hospital, London. I subsequently spent three further years of vascular surgical training at Northwick Park Hospital, St Mary’s Regional Vascular Unit and Chelsea and Westminster.
Since 1999 I have been a Consultant Vascular & General Surgeon at Whipps Cross University Hospital. I have established an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) service with the interventional radiologists, a one-stop venous clinic and a local anaesthetic endovenous laser clinic. I have developed a special interest in the management and prevention of the foot complications associated with diabetes in which I liase closely with the Endocrinologists and Specialist Podiatrist. I have been trained in vascular ultrasound and I now run a Consultant led “one stop vascular clinic” which has significantly streamlined the service
For the last eight years I have provided an endocrine surgical service for our department. I perform between 50-70 thyroid/parathyroid procedures annually. I now perform almost all of the parathyroid procedures via a targeted approach using preoperative radionuclear and ultrasound imaging.
I have obtained extensive emergency surgical experiences since working at Whipps Cross. In addition to endocrine surgery my elective general surgical work includes laparoscopic cholecystectomy, hernia repair and soft tissue surgery. I have developed my skills in minimally invasive surgery and regularly perform laparoscopic cholecystectomy, appendicectomy and thoracoscopic sympathectomy.
- Clinical Director in General Surgery, Bartshealth (2012-present)
- Chairman of NE Thames training committee in General Surgery (2011-present)
- Chairman of Court of Examiners Royal College of Surgeons (2010-12)
- Invited member of Council of Royal College of Surgeons (2010-12)
- Trust Lead for Clinical Governance (Whipps Cross) 2003-09
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Fellow of Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- Member of the Vascular Surgical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the Court of Examiners of Royal College of Surgeons
Please note these are regular clinics, other times may be available by appointment
M: Monthly sessions A: Consulting alternative weeks A/H: Ad Hoc
Are you insured?
We welcome patients with private medical insurance and are approved by all major insurers, including Bupa and AXA PPP.
Find out more
We offer a variety of fixed price Self-Pay Packages for those considering paying for their own treatment.
Find out more